First thing was to figure out how I was going to put a counter top on this thing. The problem I was having was I wanted to keep this project as close to $100 as I could. But as you all know most counter tops are super expensive even the little pieces. I knew that I wanted a butcher block top, but I only needed a small piece and I didn't have access to an Ikea so the cheap part of this idea went out the window. So I went to Lowes on a surveillance mission (that's what I call the trip when I have no idea what I'm looking for and for your information that is usually the only time that people continually ask me if I need help!) While aimlessly wondering and with butcher block still on the brain, I remembered a project that I did in the past and the piece of wood that I used for it reminded me of butcher block. I ran to the aisle with the furniture quality wood, you know the one with the pre-made desk tops and shelving. Well as I looked I realized that to get a piece big enough it was going to cost me around $40 and some precision cutting. Boooo, hisss! I did not want this route, I was thinking more along the lines of $20 sand it, stain it and attach it! But the more I looked and measured (I always have a tape measure in my purse....FREAK!) I found a great piece that when doubled it could be the perfect size and was only $7.25.
So I bought two and was on my way. Here they are------------------------------------------>
I then wanted to start working on the cabinet itself. As you saw from the before pics I had a missing drawer front and since this was a sink base it was a faux drawer. So I just fired up the nail gun and nailed it back on with finish nails making sure that they sunk deep into the wood so they wouldn't show. I also got all my pieces together to cover the sink base. I already had a piece of bead board that I measured and cut down to size using the circular saw. I didn't have enough to cover the sides so I went to Lowes and bought oak side panels that already fit (can be found in the cabinet dept.)....no cutting, no sanding, no fuss. Just paint and attach! I painted everything with Valspar del coronado tequila. After it was good and dry I was ready for assembly, which I have pictured below.
Once all the parts were assembled I added the corner molding. Here is a photo of what it looks like.
Here are the details on materials and cost:
1- 30' sink base $50
2- paint grade shelving pieces $14.50
2- oak cabinet side panels $20
1- 8ft corner molding $4.95
2- scroll shelf brackets $12.95
2- cabinet knobs $6.25
grand total $108.65
Granted I did have many of the material already, but this is a totally do-able project and I'm so glad I tackled it, even if it was in the middle of my bathroom demo. I'd love to know what you think or if you have ever done an island. And don't forget to check out these great link parties that this post is linked to.